Thursday 18 October 2012

Knit, knit, knit


I first learned to knit when I was a little girl. My Nana taught me. Then I just fell out of the habit, and as a teen it wasn't cool etc etc, so I forgot how to do it. Recently I re-taught myself using a craft book (Queen of Crafts) and with a little help from my friend Sally when I get stuck, I'm away again!
This dog jumper has taken me two weeks to knit, as I'm still quite slow and the needles are tiny! I can never find dog jumpers long enough for Bronwyn as they never cover her all the way to her bum, so I found this pattern specifically for whippets and greyhounds online. I'm thrilled with the result & stupidly proud of it! Bronwyn is definately not impressed, but as I pointed out to her, It's not like I've knitted her the matching leg warmers so I can pretend she's from the film Fame... And yes, I REALLY want to do that! It would be hilarious & I have just enough wool left... It's fate!

Here is the pattern I used; I used size 4 needles & the size thickness of wool to go with them. I bought my wool online at Black Sheep Wool, they have a great selection & always good offers on.

Cast on 76 stitches K1 P1 ribbing for 2 inches
Then stocking stitch to 18 inches including the ribbing.
Decrease 1 stitch each side each knit row, to 56 stitches, then work in ribbing K1 P1 for 5 inches which makes the collar.
Underpiece - Cast on 30 stitches and work in ribbing K1 P1 for 4 inches. Increase evenly to 36 stitches and still ribbing continue until 9 inches.
Decrease 1 stitch begining and end of each row to 1 stitch. Cast off.
Sew together leaving a hole on either side for your whippet's front legs to go through. 
The collar folds back like a turtleneck sweater.

4 comments:

  1. OMG how cute is that!! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I love your blog, I especially loved your post about chosing not to work in order to raise your son. You hit the right balance of making me think & inspiration! Keep on writing! x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! She rocks that look, right?! I'm definately going to make her this jumper in other colours!

      Delete